SouthWest Metro Intermediate District #288 has a full-time English Learner Teacher opening beginning August 21, 2023.
SouthWest Metro serves students in 11 member districts and 6 associate member districts across the southwestern Twin Cities metropolitan area with programs in Special Education, Career and Technical Education, Care & Treatment, Adult Education, and Alternative Education. We invite you to embrace your own value, potential, and ability at SouthWest Metro, while empowering others to discover theirs. We work to empower ALL learners to realize their self-worth through personalized educational instruction, connection to resources, and access to a supportive learning environment.
English Learner Teacher, 8 hours a day for 185 Contract Days.
Educate, plan, teach, facilitate and evaluate English Learner students in English language instruction and cultural orientation and skills as defined by local and state department regulations and guidelines.
Direct Instruction and/or Co-Teaching with Classroom Teachers
· Provide direct instruction to identified K-12 English Learner students to improve academic achievement in the areas of reading, writing, speaking, and listening, as well as cultural orientation.
· Monitor student progress and attendance and assist with school orientation, registration, and post-high school plans, if appropriate.
· Co-teach with general education teachers for the benefit of EL students.
Resource and Consultation with Classroom Teachers
· Collaborate with general education teachers to enhance lesson plans and select appropriate educational materials and activities that help the students meet curriculum objectives and are aligned with district curriculum and state outcomes.
· Coordinate and/or deliver training as needed in English Learner “best practices” for general education teachers.
· Communicate the needs of individual English Learner students to general education teachers to ensure student success.
Parent/Community Outreach and Communication
· Communicate with parents and serve as a liaison between school, parents, and community; arrange interpretation and translation services as needed.
· Consult and communicate with teachers, administration, and support staff and attend meetings as needed.
English Learner Specific Assessments
· Administer state testing for English Learner students and complete required paperwork (ex: for migrant students).
- Must hold a valid MN teaching license.
- English Learner licensure is required.
- Possess high-quality instructional practices in all aspects of instructing English Learners.
- Ability to consistently make decisions and act within the district and building policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Knowledge of teaching techniques and strategies.
- Knowledge of legal mandates regarding the provision of services.
- Knowledge of classroom instructional interventions and behavioral management techniques.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers, administrators, community, and staff.
- Working knowledge of district curriculum.
- Working knowledge of the district’s computers and student management software system.
Apply Online at swmetro.k12.mn.us/employment_opportunities
Pay & Benefits:
The starting pay is $43,610 per year, based on education and experience. A competitive and comprehensive benefit package is also available. (The annual rate listed is subject to increase based on the 7/01/2023 salary schedule as identified by the licensed teacher labor agreement once created.)
Applications will be reviewed beginning immediately until the position is filled. Those selected for interviews will be contacted.