What is a short call substitute teacher?
- A short call sub may only teach for 15 consecutive days in one classroom assignment, in any subject or grade level
What are the requirements necessary to become a substitute teacher?
- Education Requirements: You must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university. Official transcripts must be provided to PELSB when you are applying for your initial license.
- Experience: No experience is required to receive a three-year, short call substitute teacher license.
What is the rate of pay?
- A short call substitute teacher is compensated $150.00/day (or $75.00 for half day assignments).
How do I become a sub with Westonka Schools?
- Complete Westonka Schools’ online job application Short Call Substitute Teachers available at https://www.westonka.k12.mn.us/jobs. You can also access this page by clicking Job Openings on the district website home page.
- Complete Westonka’s employment forms, which will be provided after the online application has been submitted.
- Create an online account with Minnesota’s Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) and complete the Short Call Substitute Teacher / Tier 1 License Application: https://mn.gov/pelsb/aspiring-educators/apply/.
- PELSB will ask you to consent to a criminal history background check, submit a fingerprint card, submit official transcripts (in the sealed envelope) and pay an initial licensing fee of $91.95.
- Note: It would be beneficial to order official transcripts (mailed to you; do NOT break seal), order the fingerprint card from PELSB and get fingerprints recorded at a police station ASAP. These can be done prior to submitting the license application.
- If you have questions about the licensure process, please contact PELSB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you already hold a current Minnesota Teaching License or Short Call Substitute Teaching License, then you can skip to the next step.
- Complete Westonka’s Substitute Teacher Digital Workshop. This digital file will be shared with you electronically.
Experience the Westonka Edge – Small School Experiences, Big School Opportunities, Real-Life Success Stories.
Westonka schools are just the right size. Small school advantages mean we know every child by name and we make it our goal to help every child to succeed. Big school opportunities mean our award-winning arts, academics and athletics programs are right up there with the big guys. Real-life success stories mean our students leave prepared for college and for success in the 21st Century.