Posting # 3934
Columbia Heights Public Schools is accepting applications for potential Special Education elementary positions we anticipate for the coming school year (2023-2024).
Positions begin at the start of the 2023-2024 school year.
Questions regarding this position should be directed to Sarah Godfrey, Director of Special Education, 763-528-4540, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested applicants should apply online www.colheights.k12.mn.us
Interviews will be scheduled at the request of the School District.
Major Responsibilities: Special Ed Teacher to serve students on IEP’s at Columbia Heights Public Schools.
General Definition of Work
Performs intermediate professional work preparing and providing training and instruction to students with disabilities, individually and in groups; motivating students to develop skill in assigned subject matters; monitoring progress in accordance with IEP’s, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Director of Student Services. Occasional oversight is exercised over Educational Assistants.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assesses and evaluates needs of students; evaluates students’ progress, maintains appropriate records; prepares progress reports.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experience based on needs and abilities of students.
- Provides instruction in individual or group sessions.
- Provides positive role model to students, teachers and demonstrates appropriate behavior and socialization skills.
- Assists with the formulation and implements behavior modification programs.
- Participates in various groups, meetings and committees.
- Facilitates communication between various groups on behalf of the client or student.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of special education and specialty area; thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching of students with disabilities; thorough knowledge of school division rules, regulations and procedures; ability to establish and maintain standards of behavior; ability to deliver articulate oral presentations and written reports; ability to effectively and analyze needs and problems objectively; ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with children, students, parents, staff, administration and the general public.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching, or related field working with children, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minnesota Teaching license.
- Experience working in a multi cultural setting and with diverse groups of people preferred.
- Alternatives to the qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable will also be considered.
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, frequently requires walking, using hands to finger, handle or feel, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms and pushing or pulling and occasionally requires standing, sitting, climbing or balancing, tasting or smelling, lifting and repetitive motions; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, using measuring devices, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work frequently requires exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment and exposure to bodily fluids and occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).