The Fergus Falls School District is seeking to fill full-time special education paraprofessional positions for the 2023-24 school year. These positions are for 6.5 hrs/day during student contact days. Hourly pay rate ranges from $18.45-$20.30/hour.
- High school graduate or equivalent and two years college or tech courses preferred
- Experience in educational work or human services
- A desire and interest in assisting the special needs student to reach their maximum growth; socially, emotionally, vocationally, physically, and academically.
- Such alternatives as to the above qualifications as the school board may find appropriate and acceptable.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. The ability to work with others to create a positive academic experience.
2. The ability to lift at least 40 pounds.
3. Flexibility is required to adapt to changing job assignments to meet the needs of the school district.
To implement programs designed to meet the individual needs of the special students. Program areas include: 1) daily living skills; 2) pre-academic; 3) academic; 4) vocational; 5) recreational; 6) behavioral; 7) medical; 8) other.
- As directed by the teacher, to assist in the instruction and supervise the special needs students in educational programs that support the goals of the Individual Education Plan (IEP), to assist in the implementation of decisions which will meet the mental, physical, emotional, and social needs of every student, to assist in achieving the goals established by the professional team. These tasks may include the areas of:
- Assist in teaching basic living skills.
- Assist in instructing special needs students and adapting materials for mainstream classrooms.
- Assist in instructing special needs students in special classrooms.
- Supervising students in special classrooms.
- Supervise students in the lunchroom, on the playground, field trips, bus and van loading and unloading.
- If applicable, educate self, students and others in signed English of words, alphabet and numbers.
- Job coach at student’s worksite.
- To record student’s progress in academic and behavioral areas as directed.
a. Maintain data privacy and confidentiality of students.
b. Alert professional staff about any specific situation that may need documentation.
c. Attend IEP meetings at teacher’s request.
d. Assist with periodic reports.
- To provide assistance for the health and physical needs of students as well as carrying out plans as directed. Health needs may include: Tube feeding, stomas, catheterizing
a. Handling seizures and other medical emergencies
b. Administer medications that are authorized by the school nurse.
c. Assist in carrying out the physical and occupational therapy plan as directed.
- Physical needs may include:
a. Toileting, diapering, other personal hygiene needs
b Feeding and giving liquids
c. Lifting, carrying, and transporting students
- Miscellaneous duties as directed by the teacher.
a. Prepare audiovisual material and operate equipment.
b. Prepare classroom displays and bulletin boards.
c. Assist substitute teachers and/or paraprofessionals in orienting them to the programs.
d. Assist students using computers
- Attend trainings and/or workshops as required.
Application deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: August 30, 2023
Accommodation: If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please email HR at email@example.com or call 218-998-0544, ext. 9010.
Background Check Upon Conditional Offer: Background checks are conducted upon receiving a conditional offer. Employees must complete a background check and are responsible for the background fee. A passing background is required. Criminal convictions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Veteran’s Preference: If you are an eligible veteran, please submit a legible copy of your DD214 with your application.
The Fergus Falls Public School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator, who fully and actively supports equal access for all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information or Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.