Effective immediately, Human Resources will accept applications for the position of Lifeguard at Central Square Community Center. This position will work up to 20 hours per week; hours vary. The rate of pay is $16.00 per hour.
Application Process: To be considered for a position, submit online application at www.sspps.org. Posting will remain open until positions are filled.
Ensure the safety of patrons during pool usage by preventing and responding to emergencies.
- Recognize and respond effectively in emergencies.
- Enforce all pool rules, policies and procedures to prevent accidents.
- Maintain constant surveillance of patrons in the water, on the pool deck and on the diving board.
- Maintain logs and records.
- Perform assists or rescues as necessary.
- Be attentive and ensure the safety of all users.
- Administer first aid and/or CPR as needed.
- Be on pool deck as patrons enter the pool area and remain on pool deck until all patrons depart.
- Implement emergency procedures in cases of serious injury.
- Act professionally and courteously to instructors, students, and other patrons.
- Report hazards or potential hazards immediately to the Director of Community Education.
- Be prepared to close a problem area of the facility, if necessary.
- Assist patrons with orienting themselves to the different depths of the pool.
- Attend all required aquatics staff in-service trainings and meetings
- Remain diligent in providing a safe environment.
- Adhere to staff and program guidelines and district procedures and policies.
- Demonstrate prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Current Red Cross Lifeguard certification
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certification
- Experience in a lifeguard or aquatics program
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Ability to work flexible hours, evenings, and weekends
- Knowledge of established pool rules and emergency procedures
- Ability to work with various age groups and group sizes
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with youth, community members and staff
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work with independently and the ability to resolve disputes and problems effectively
- Ability to relate to and work with individuals representing a variety of diverse backgrounds and cultures
Constantly required to move and interact with students/patrons in and outside a swimming pool including standing, walking, sitting, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, pulling and reaching with hands and arms. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, lift, use hands for fingering, grasping and feeling, wrists, hands and/or fingers for repetitive motions or computer use. The employee must frequently lift, move and/or carry up to 30 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to and over 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.