Under the direct supervision of a licensed staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives.
Monday – Thursday
9am – 1:30pm
Starting Pay: $19.79 / Hour
120 work days per school year
Essential Job Functions
- Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, and other skills.
- Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.
- Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
- Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance.
- Constructs, copies and distribute and use educational materials as needed.
- Assists teacher with parent contact as requested to foster effective and participatory parent involvement in student education.
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students, including those with disabilities or other special needs.
- May assist in the training of other paraprofessionals.
- Assist guidance, pupil services staff or building administration, as needed.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of college level coursework or passing of examination as required by the No Child Left Behind Act.
- Prior experience working with special needs children desirable.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt