The Austin Public School District is seeking to hire a Special Education Supervisor effective for the 2024-2025 school year.
The Special Education Supervisor oversees special education programming in areas including, but not limited to elementary, middle school and high school special education. The special education supervisor accomplishes this by working with the Special Education Director to develop and conduct training, facilitate IEP meetings and establish data collection systems.
Job duties include:
- Supervises staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures, and maintains a healthy and safe working environment; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Identify special education program needs and priorities in areas of responsibility and communicate them to the Director of Special Services and other administrators. Assist administrators with recruitment and selection of special education teaching and support staff. Act as a resource to District Administrators regarding program and compliance issues.
- Interpret and implement existing due process procedures. Insure that staff have adequate knowledge of due process procedures. Design, implement or improve due process tracking systems.
- Develop and conduct training to assist teaching and support in compliance/monitoring. Provide ongoing supervision of teaching and support staff in conjunction with the Special Services Director. Provide observation and input concerning special education personnel to District administrators.
- Lead and participate in interagency planning and implementation meetings. Communicates with teachers to discuss student progress and programs. Attend IEP and transition meetings as appropriate to assure timeliness and compliance with state and federal laws and regulations. Develop and maintain relationships with other relevant outside agencies to assure cooperation on common goals.
- Participates in community organizations to promote the District’s image and programs.
- Coordinates departmental meetings to discuss program objectives, goals, monitor caseloads, and related agendas.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Training and Experience: Master’s degree in Special Education, preferably with specialties in multiple disabilities; at least five years of special education classroom teaching experience; at least 2 years of special education program coordination, including one year of supervisory experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing Requirements: Special Education Director License
Application Procedure: Apply online at Employment – Austin Public Schools | Inspire. Empower. Accelerate.
As Equal Opportunity Employer, Austin Public Schools is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, familial status or membership or activity in a local commission. The school district strongly encourages anyone interested to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.