In alignment with District 197’s commitment to caring relationships, equitable practices, and high achievement for all, we actively encourage those committed to creating an equitable and inclusive culture, free of discrimination, to join our team.
SCHOOL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL
Hours: M-F, 4 hours per day – 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range will be based on licensure and work experience
Under direction of the Building Principal with support from the District’s Health Service Coordinator (LSN). The School Health Professional provides direct school nursing services; oversees a middle school health office, assists in planning school health programs; and serves as resource person to staff in the middle school buildings.
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops, oversees and evaluates the school health program within an middle school.
- Assists the District’s Health Service Coordinator in developing, implementing and evaluating a system to identify and provide for the health needs of all students.
- Implements a health protocol for students with special health care needs, including the administration of medications and other medically directed treatments.
- Provides first aid care and medically prescribed services.
- Screens and conducts health assessments for students and staff.
- Completes district health reports for submission to local, county and state officials as required.
- Maintains security of school health supplies.
- Serves as a resource person on health issues.
- Monitors compliance of school health program with federal, state and local laws, regulations and policies.
- Corresponds with parents on health needs of children.
- Prepares health reports and implements procedures as directed by supervisor and/or health department (county and/or state).
- Promotes and assists in communicable disease control through immunization programs, early detection, monitoring and reporting.
- Provides health related instruction in the classroom, as directed.
Other functions of the job include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs other comparable duties of a like or similar nature as apparent or assigned.
- Attends training sessions, conferences, seminars, department and district meetings.
- Serve on District committees, task forces, work groups, ect., as requested.
- Keeps abreast of changing developments, trends, health laws, rules, procedures and processes to help insure district compliance.
- Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds.
Knowledge Skills and Ability Required:
- Licensed as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) by the MN Board of Nursing.
- Working knowledge of the principles, practices and ethical standards of Nursing; relevant state and federal laws, rules and regulations; and applicable district policies and procedures.
- Ability to deal effectively and appropriately with students, parents and other educational professionals regarding student health concerns and problems.
- The skill and ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Considerable knowledge of child growth and development.
- Prefer Bi-lingual (Spanish).
- Meet professional nurse requirements of school, district and state.
- Knowledge of relevant technology.
- Must have the ability and proven ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
It is the policy, practice, and commitment of District 197 to provide equal employment opportunities for all people without discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Please contact human resources if you need financial assistance for your pre-employment screening.