Hiawatha College Prep – Northrop seeks a hard-working, passionate, and goal-oriented educator to join our team as a Physical Education (PE) Teacher for the 2023-2024 school year.
HCP-N teachers will be charged with providing a rigorous, fast-paced, and inspiring learning environment for all of their students. The PE Teacher will work under the guidance of the Instructional Leadership Team and in close collaboration with fellow classroom teachers and advisors.
Instructional Planning and Implementation
- Utilize curriculum to develop and implement standards-based lesson plans that include an understanding and modeling of independent thinking skills, creative problem-solving, and evidence-based reasoning, differentiating and scaffolding as needed
- Implement assessments that are aligned with daily, weekly, and unit objectives
- Use data to adjust short- and long-term plans in order to meet students’ learning needs
Learning and Development
- Collaborate with colleagues and seek feedback in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement and student achievement; reflect on instructional practices to meet individual professional development goals
- Actively participate in professional development, grade level, and community meetings
School and Classroom Culture
- Establish and maintain relationships with students and families based in trust and regular communication; collaborate and communicate regularly with families about academic progress and behavior
- Establish and maintain high expectations and routines for academic work and classroom behavior
- Establish and reinforce expectations and accountability structures to maintain a positive, focused classroom
- Maintain accurate records, grade book, and data tracking systems
- Actively attend to supervision duties and contribute positively to a collaborative school environment
*Perform other duties as required and assigned
- Minnesota PE and Health licensure
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build trust with colleagues, students and families
- Must have a growth mindset
- Cultural awareness of self and others
- Ability to understand, appreciate, and interact within various cultural contexts
- A track record of measurable success with students
- Optimism in our ability to close the opportunity gap for all students
- A minimum of two years teaching diverse student populations with demonstrated student results
- Bilingual or multilingual (Spanish or Somali preferred)
Compensation: The starting salary range for this position is $43,160 – $75,816 based on years of experience in an equivalent role. Salary will be prorated to the start date and based on FTE. Employees are paid bi-monthly.
Benefits: This position is benefit eligible the first of the month following the start date. Hiawatha Academies offers Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, Short-term and Long-Term Disability, an Employee Assistance Program and state pension retirement accounts. A generous contribution toward health and dental insurance is provided by the network.
Hiawatha Academies is a network of college-preparatory schools focused on closing the opportunity gap in Minneapolis. We seek to create a K-12 school experience for scholars that empowers them with knowledge, character, and leadership skills. At Hiawatha Academies, we are committed to making our city and our world a more inclusive, equitable, and just place.
Our equity vision: to honor the humanity of all people, we actively disrupt systemic inequity in pursuit of an equitable world. Hiawatha Academies permanently disrupts educational inequity by ensuring a great school for every child.
Core Value and Beliefs
All Hiawatha Staff must demonstrate a passionate belief in and commitment to the following core values:
1) Children are at the center of everything we do.
2) Our mission requires bold thought and action.
3) We choose optimism.
4) We push ourselves to improve.
5) We are stronger together.
6) We create fun and a little weirdness.
Perks:Professional Development is scheduled into the calendar year and provides a time for all campuses to come together and celebrate our success.
Hiawatha Employment Logistics
- Hiawatha College Prep – Northrop students’ school day is from 7:45am-2:45pm, Monday-Thursday and 7:45am-1:00pm on Friday.
- Staff must be present from 7:30am-3:30pm, Monday-Friday, or until all duties are completed for the next day.
- Professional development sessions are held each Friday from 1:00pm-3:00pm.
- All Hiawatha Staff are expected to attend and participate in all family events at the school.
Application Timeline: This Notice of Vacancy will be posted until filled.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
We believe that diversity is strength, and we are committed to maintaining an inclusive, multicultural network. We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome all qualified applicants.