Thank you for your interest in Fridley Public Schools, an International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools district. We are the only school district in Minnesota and one of few in the U.S. that offers the full IB Continuum to students in pre-K to grade 12. As a world class community of learners, Fridley Public Schools aims to develop internationally minded students. We challenge ourselves, our students, and our community to become caring and knowledgeable life-long learners who inquire and take action to create a better world.
Our mission is to guide students in the development of learning skills to help them reach their full potential.
The successful candidate will be an individual who firmly believes …
- In the value of diversity and inclusion in enriching the educational experience of all students.
- All students feel valued and have a sense of belonging.
- All learners have the right to a quality education.
- All learners have the ability to learn and attain self-fulfillment.
- All learners need the strategies and tools necessary to strive toward becoming responsible, independent and productive members of society.
Paraeducator position to work with special education students at Hayes Elementary School beginning the 2023-2024 school year.
Schedule: 6.5 hours/day Monday – Friday, when school is in session
Wage: $15.98 – $18.57 per hour depending on previous para experience
Essential Job Functions:
The Instructional Support Paraeducator is primarily engaged in direct interaction with one or more pupils for instructional activities according to district-approved curriculum and teacher-approved instructional plan for the student, physical or behavior management, inclusion or other activities. Accommodations and modifications specified on students’ IEPs are performed under the direction of a regular or special education teacher or related services provider.
Under the direction of the teacher, enhance academic instruction by explaining assignments, preparing supplementary instructional materials, and by providing extended practice or follow-up instruction.
Assist the teacher in managing the physical needs of students by helping the student with mobility, dressing, grooming, feeding and toileting.
Assist school personnel in establishing and maintaining discipline and a safe, healthy learning environment by helping implement behavior management programs, observing, monitoring and recording student behavior, keeping daily student records and assisting with physical restraint in emergency situations.
As directed by teacher, implement strategies, deliver reinforcers and consequences for student behavior. Assist students in using adapted equipment, computer applications and audio-visual equipmen
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to relate to and communicate with staff and students
- Patience and flexibility in working with special needs students
- Willingness to expand skills
- Ability to take direction of supervising teacher
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Ability to model and reinforce appropriate verbal and interpersonal behavior
- Meet the requirements of being highly qualified by either showing evidence of having earned at least 60 post-secondary credits or passing the Parapro Exam within the employee probationary period.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employed is regularly required to talk, hear, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, reach for objects, stand, walk, push, pull, lift and use hands to grasp and feel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, occasionally being required to lift and/or move 50 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), women, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Fridley Public Schools recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting our academic mission. Fridley Public Schools is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
Apply online at https://www.applitrack.com/fridley/onlineapp/
Attention Application Materials to: Gaeli Iverson, Principal of Hayes Elementary