Pay: Aides (high school students): $13.00/hour
Assistants: varies $14.00-$16.00/hour
This position is part-time, Monday through Friday and based out of Wildwood Elementary and O.H. Anderson Elementary.
Starts and end times: Varied: Example: 7:00-9:00 a.m. and/or 3:15-6:00 p.m.
- Lead program activities independently. Active participation in daily activities (group games, crafts, science, computer lab, gym, outdoor activities, dramatic play etc.) is required.
- Work with a team to develop mental, physical, social and emotional abilities of all children. Promptly inform the supervisor of any observations regarding difficulties in adjustment, learning, social interaction, behavior and/or the physical functioning of individual children.
- Maintain and enforce the safety and security of the children. Accountable for timely and accurate attendance counts and continual monitoring of the environment to ensure safety.
- Model appropriate behavior. Encourage children to develop positive social relationships. Intervene as appropriate using strategies such as peer mediation, conflict resolution, problem solving and/or other behavior management techniques.
- Assist supervisor in complying with District and MAC policies and procedures, including but not limited to emergency procedures, building orientation, confidentiality, student vulnerability, reporting and classroom management.
- Prepare equipment and materials for activities and arrange the program areas as necessary – including set-up and clean-up of supplies, equipment and program areas, as well as the preparation of meals and snacks. Notify the supervisor about equipment that needs repair or replacement or supplies that need to be purchased.
- Understand and maintain boundaries and confidentiality with students, families and staff.
- Participate in staff development activities and site and staff meetings, as required.
- Maintain a high level of fairness, confidentiality, respect and equity for all students, staff and families.
- Work with all children in the program including leading field trip activities and behavior management.
- At least 16 years of age
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check
- Ability to provide services to students as directed by the supervisor in a manner that demonstrates a positive respect for the dignity and basic rights of children. Ability to accept work direction willingly and to shift work assignments/job responsibilities as needed.
- Ability to model appropriate behavior, neat appearance and proper grammar usage for all students.
- Willingness to participate in district-sponsored training when offered and pursue training opportunities pertaining to the childcare field.
- Ability to perform routine computer functions including the use of e-mail, Microsoft Office products and navigating the internet.
- Ability to consistently maintain prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to communicate with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors and the community in a positive and responsive way that is welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
- Competencies as required by the State of MN, Federal government and/or District 832.
- Proven teamwork, confidentiality and communication skills.
- Must be enthusiastic and dedicated. Must possess a strong commitment to working with children as well as in a team atmosphere.
- Experience in a formal child-care setting.
- Experience utilizing behavior management techniques.
- Background in the field of education.
- CPR/First Aid certified.
- 60 hours of relevant training in child care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of basic academics and behavior characteristics of elementary students.
Mahtomedi Public Schools will not discriminate against individuals based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, parental status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age or sexual orientation.