The Brooklyn Center Community School (BCCS) District seeks applicants to join our Elementary team as an Instructional Educational Assistant for Kindergarten. The Instructional Education Assistant (EA) provides student assistance for students under professional guidance and supervision of classroom Teachers. EAs work with children individually or in small groups by providing basic instruction in abilities and skills developmentally appropriate to the student. This position is also responsible for assisting the teachers with student life management and general student supervision in a variety of settings and with a variety of scheduled activities for the successful operation of the educational programs.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community who fuels the unique genius of each student.
BCCS Core Values – Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools.
We stand front and center
We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
Our diversity fuels learning
We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishes positive relationships with students and acts as a role model for appropriate social skills and behaviors in all situations.
- Assists and tutors students with instructional and non-instructional activities including homework, classroom assignments, toileting, dressing, mobility, etc.
- Performs prescribed instructional strategies with individuals and/ or small groups, which accommodate differences in developmental styles and learning.
- Helps teacher(s) manage student behavior by applying proactive strategies.
- Assumes safety responsibilities for students in all environments.
- Reinforces instruction through individual or small group activities; keeps students focused on tasks assigned by teacher(s).
- Oversees and supervises students throughout the day, including field trips, program events, boarding and unboarding buses, lunch periods, recess and other settings where teacher(s) may not be present; chaperones students to and from class.
- Supervises students to ensure a safe, supportive, culturally responsive, equitable, and welcoming learning environment.
- Monitors, advises, coaches, and supports student behavior management to ensure a safe and supportive learning environment.
- Assists students with learning organizational and computer literacy skills.
- Assists with preparing lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment and demonstrations.
- Distributes teaching materials such as textbooks, workbooks, papers and pencils to students; distributes and collects tests and homework assignments.
- Grades homework and tests; computes and records results using answer sheets or electronic marking devices.
- Instructs and monitors students in the use and care of equipment and materials in order to prevent injuries and damage.
- Observes students’ performance and records relevant data to assess progress.
- Organizes and supervises games and other recreational activities to promote physical, mental and social development.
- May provide interpreting services for students, parents and staff.
- Attend staff meetings and parent/teacher conferences and serves on committees as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Associates Degree, 60 college credits, or a passing score on the parapro or equivalent exam
Pay and Benefits: $16.89-$20.34, Benefits based on Support Professionals contract
Duty Days: 183 days, 7.5 hours per day (7 hours paid and .5 hours unpaid lunch)
Why Choose BCCS?
- Health Insurance with option of a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA) or Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full service community school
- Vital Worklife: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
We’re not a community on the fringe, we’re a community moving toward a center. Moving in unison with a shift in cultural expectations.
Our voice and achievement will not be disqualified, we’re moving toward a change in history and hearts. Standing FRONT AND CENTER so we are seen and heard.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools: https://www.bccs286.org/
Please select this link to apply online: https://www.applitrack.com/brooklyncenterschools/onlineapp/
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives and regulations of Federal, State and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.