1. Has the ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
2. Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport. (Major sports)
3. The head coach must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport
and, at the same time, must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to
4. The head coach must serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through
his/her instructions and actions.
REPORTS TO: The athletic director, who provides overall objectives and final evaluation in
conjunction with the high school principals
SUPERVISES: In several instances, the head coach must advise, coordinate and support a staff of
high school assistant coaches and middle school coaches in conjunction with the
athletic director and respective principal.
JOB GOAL: To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training
necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same
time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially
acceptable character development, self discipline, self confidence, and pride of
accomplishment in the student athletes. To upgrade his/her knowledge and skills
through coaching clinics, observations, consultation, etc.
GENERAL: 1. The success of athletic programs has a strong influence on the community’s
image of the entire system. The public exposure is a considerable
responsibility and community/parent pressure for winning performance is
taxing, but must not override the objectives of good sportsmanship and good
2. The position includes other unusual aspect such as extended time, risk injury
factor and due process predicaments.
3. It is the express intent of this job description to give sufficient guidance to
function. In cases not specifically covered, it shall be assumed that a coach
shall exercise common sense and good judgment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by the ROCORI
Schools’ Board of Education and is responsible for their implementation by the entire staff of the
2. Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and
interprets them for staff.
3. Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through
proper channels. Is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require attendance.
4. Established the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques to be taught by staff. Designs
conferences, clinics and staff meetings to insure staff awareness of overall program.
5. Trains and informs staff, encourages professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance according
to local clinic policy.
6. Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation and, at season’s end, analyzes staff
effectiveness and evaluates all assistants.
7. Maintains discipline, adjusts grievances and works to increase morale and cooperation.
8. Performs such other duties which may be assigned by the athletic director/principal.
9. Assists the athletic director in scheduling, providing transportation and requirements for tournament
and special sport events.
10. Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled sport events or practices and adheres to
scheduled facility times. Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
11. Provides documentation to fulfill state and system requirements concerning physical examinations,
parental consent and eligibility.
12. Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites.
13. Advises the athletic director and recommends policy, method or procedural changes.
14. Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes
the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
15. Gives constant attention to a student athlete’s grades and conduct.
16. By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and
safeguards for each participant.
17. Provides training rules and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete who is
considered a participant.
18. Initiates programs and policies concerning injuries, medical attention and emergencies.
19. Completes paperwork on all disabling athletic injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic office
within 24 hours.
20. Directs student managers, assistants and statisticians.
21. Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of
discipline is necessary and contracts parents when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
22. Assists athletes in their college or advanced educational selection.
FINANCE AND EQUIPMENT:
23. Participates in the budgeting function with the athletic director by establishing requirements for the
next season. Recommends equipment guidelines as to type, style, color or technical specifications.
Is responsible for operating within budget appropriations.
24. Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned.
Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment and submits annual inventory and
current records concerning same.
25. Properly marks and identifies all equipment before issuing or storing.
26. Monitors equipment rooms and coaches’ offices, authorizes who may enter, issue or requisition
27. Permits the athletes to only be in authorized areas of the building at the appropriate times.
28. Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the
facility. Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment.
29. Secures all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving building if custodians are not on duty.
30. Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
31. Organizes parents, coaches, players and guests for preseason meetings.
32. Promotes the sport within the school through recruiting athletes who are not in another sports
program and promotes the sport outside the school through news media, little league programs, or in
any other feasible manner.
33. Responsible for the quality, effectiveness and validity of any oral or written release to local media.
34. Responsible for maintaining good public relations with news media, booster club, parents, officials,
volunteers and fans.
35. Presents information to news media concerning schedules, tournaments and results.
Any questions about the position can contact Joel Baumgarten at firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-685-4913