Temporary Summer – Class 8 – 6 hours per day
HOURS: 7:45 a.m. – 2:15 p.m. with ½ hour unpaid lunch, 4 days per week Monday – Thursday
LOCATION: Hillside Elementary School
The primary goal of the Health Care Specialist is to care for student health, injuries, and/or illnesses in an expedient manner. The Health Care Specialist must also demonstrate the ability and desire to work with medically fragile and/or cognitively impaired students and have the ability to perform technical nursing procedures under the direction of a Licensed School Nurse.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. First Aid:
a. Administer first aid, emergency, and episodic care accordingly to their nursing licensure and knowledge.
b. Monitor students and refer to Licensed School Nurse when assessments, evaluations, or nursing interventions may be necessary.
- Assist in planning with the Licensed School Nurse as the LSN plans services for students with special needs (i.e., technical nursing procedures, homebound services, transportation, or excessive absence follow-up).
- Assist with Special Ed evaluations.
- Develop Individual Health Plans (IHP) under the supervision of the LSN.
- Function as a team member of Health Services so student health is maintained or improved and learning is facilitated. Attend IEP meetings as Health Services, TAT or SST representative.
3. Record Keeping:
- Responsible for health records including the emergency card, pupil health records, physicals, and medical documentation.
- Maintain data logs according to Lead Nurses request.
- Compile logs into a year-end report (May of each year).
- Accurately document all duties performed and any other necessary reasons.
- Maintain confidential health files for students; restrict access to staff with “need to know.”
- Maintain third party billing documentation.
4. Student Wellness:
- Assist with school screenings such as vision, hearing, and early childhood under supervision of a Licensed School Nurse.
- Comply with procedures for communicable diseases, under direction of Licensed School Nurse.
- Reduce the spread of communicable diseases by collecting student immunization data according to State mandates.
5. Delegated Functions:
- Administer medications, simple & complex, to students under the direction of a licensed school nurse and school policy (ex: G-tube, respiratory suctioning, complex wound dressing, catheterization and port care).
- Support the technical health needs of students as directed and delegated by a Licensed School Nurse.
6. Other duties as assigned:
a. by Building Principal or Special Education Director
b. by supervising LSN or Lead Nurses
c. Provide selected Health Care trainings.
d. Participate in local time studies.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, LICENSE, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES):
- Current licensing by the Minnesota Board of Nursing as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN).
- Ability to interact positively with all ages of people.
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification.
- Current First Aid certification.
- Ability to work within the scope and practice of the position.
- Skills/experience in Windows-based computer software.
- Prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to communicate with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
- Demonstrated appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions.
- No written reprimand or higher within the past 12 months.
- Not on a Performance Improvement Plan (e.g. Job Target and/or Plan of Assistance)
- Must take part in a standardized interview process conducted by HR and the Department/Building Administration. A score of 70% is required to pass the interview. If the bidder does not meet the minimum threshold to pass the interview, the next qualified bidder will be invited to interview.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with children with special health needs and/or involved in special education.
Candidates must pass the qualifying test prior to bidding. Successful candidates must have a qualifying score in each of the following testing areas to be considered for the position: Word, Basic Office Skills, Following Written Instructions and a Health Care Skills Assessment.
ANTICIPATED DATES: July 10th, 2023 – July 27th, 2023
POSTING AVAILABLE FOR BIDDING: February 28th, 2023 – March 6th, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.