International Spanish Language Academy, ISLA is an IB Spanish Immersion K-6 school located in Minnetonka MN. Its current enrollment is around 420 students.
Mission: ISLA, a Pre-K to Grade 5 Spanish immersion community, empowers the whole child by nurturing the development of personal growth, strong character, academic excellence, and global vision.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Carry out all responsibilities associated with elementary immersion teaching assignment.
- Conduct classroom instruction of all basic subjects in Spanish.
- Interweave Hispanic cultures into student activities throughout the school year.
- Infuse global-mindedness into the curriculum on a continual basis.
- Develop multi-cultural curriculum materials and instructional strategies for elementary students as a part of a grade-level team.
- Communicate closely and encourage parental involvement regarding program goals, classroom activities, homework and school functions.
- Create a safe classroom environment.
- Collaborate with grade-level team members, program specialists, program coordinator, director and other staff regarding program implementation.
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging trends, procedures and evaluation processes in immersion programs.
- Participate in regular program planning and staff development activities.
- Participate in all training programs required for immersion, the International Baccalaureate Organization Primary Years Programme and Responsive Classroom.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A valid Minnesota elementary teaching license is required. The candidate must have native or near native proficiency in the Spanish and English languages. A minimum of one year of elementary school experience is preferred. A minimum of six months of living in a Spanish speaking country is preferred.
Prior immersion classroom teaching experience is preferred. Familiarity with the International Baccalaureate Organization Primary Years Programme is also preferred.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to relate positively to elementary-age children
- Enthusiasm and a strong commitment to the full immersion teaching philosophy
- Enthusiasm and a strong commitment to the International Baccalaureate Organization Primary Years Programme
- Excellent proven communication skills (non-verbal, oral, written, and listening.)
- Ability to implement creative and innovative teaching strategies
- Good organizational skills and flexibility in relating to students, parents, peers, and supervisors
- Enthusiasm to work well in a team environment through cooperation and participation
- Ability to appropriately teach children with different ability levels and learning styles
- Ability to understand that students are individuals, and the skill to work effectively with individual strengths and needs of students
- Knowledge and ability to creatively instill the love of learning in students
- Ability to incorporate international cultures into lesson plans throughout the year
- Effective classroom management
- Enthusiasm for high level of parent involvement