The Long Prairie-Grey Eagle Public School is looking for an energentic English Language teacher who wants to make a difference in the lives of each and every student who walks through their doors. We are a small school located in central Minnesota. We are a hours drive from St. Cloud, 2 hour drive from the Twin Cities, 30 minutes for Alexandria, and 3 hours from Duluth. We are surrounded by area lakes, parks, and have one of the last Drive-In Movie theatres in Minnesota. We have a diverse community consisting of European, Mexican, Caribean, and other nationalities. Fifty two percent of our student population identifies as Hispanic. Todd County is also home of an active Amish population. We serve the communities of Grey Eagle, Burtrum, and Long Prairie.
Our secondary school is proud to be offering college in the schools and we encourage canidates interested in these types of classes to apply. We are a U.S. News Silver School and ranked 28th in the state due to programs like these.
We are a district that believes in providing quality professional develpoment and mentoring to our students. We provide periodic staff development days to provide training and provide work time between quarters. We have one to one student devices with a technology coordinator, tech assistant, and a part-time technology integrationist. We have robusts community and 21st century education programs that provide enrichment activities, classes, and opportunties for our students before and after school. We provide after school and summer programming to all students in our district. We partner with local mental health providers to provide additional supports to both students and adults. We value teaching the whole child and want to find team members who share this philosophy.
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students’ skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing, foster communication skills, develop an understanding and appreciation of literature of all types, motivate students to read a wide variety of publications to derive information, comprehend and critically assess the reading materials, and to promote the development of skills in the field of English reading, grammar and syntax.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of English grammar, word usage, word denotations and connotations, spelling, literature and other content areas taught.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
Preference will be given to teachers with the ability to teach reading or college in the schools.
[MN] State Certification as an English-Language Arts Education:
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
Successful prior teaching experiences in English a plus.
FLSA Status: Exempt