Full-Time Elementary Teacher
5 – 8 Math Endorsement Preferred
General Definition of Position
Performs difficult professional work providing a broad range of teaching services or specific learning program, assisting students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed as a foundation for future learning in accordance with each student’s ability, using a variety of teaching and learning methods at various levels to a targeted audience, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Principal.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials providing effective teaching strategies adhering to the District philosophy and vision.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences in a classroom environment conducive to learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies; maximizes time on task.
- Creates a classroom environment that responds to the needs of individual learners.
- Plans and implements a program of study designed to meet individual students needs.
- Recognizes learning problems and makes referrals as appropriate.
- Encourages student enthusiasm for the learning process and development of good study habits.
- Prepares substitute folder containing appropriate information as required by the principal.
- Adheres to health and safety policies.
- Communicates with parents in a timely manner; maintains positive and constructive communication with students, staff, parents and community.
- Develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and appropriate techniques.
- Shares responsibility during the school day for the supervision of students in areas of the school.
- Protects students, equipment, materials and facilities taking necessary and reasonable precautions.
- Upholds and enforces board policy, district goals, administrative procedures and school rules and regulations.
- Maintains appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance and appropriate use of conference and planning time.
- Works cooperatively with parents and other staff members to reinforce the educational program for each child.
- Attends workshops, seminars and conferences as well as staff, department, curricular development and committee meetings and staff-development session as required.
- Encourages and facilitates work of other staff members in a collaborative, supportive environment.
- Evaluates accomplishments of students on a regular basis using multiple assessment methods; provides progress and interim reports for feedback.
- Respects the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, parents and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics and state and federal laws.
- Keeps current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for continual improvement of the school’s curriculum.
- Works cooperatively with Special Education staff to report student progress and growth, as applicable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of the content of the specialty area; thorough knowledge of appropriate level education principles, practices and procedures; thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching; thorough knowledge of school district operations, regulations and procedures; ability to understand developmental appropriateness of materials and behavior; ability to establish and maintain standards of behavior; ability to deliver articulate oral presentations and written reports; ability to operate standard office equipment and related hardware and software; ability to learn specialized equipment, hardware or software related to student group needs; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, students and parents.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in teaching, education, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires standing, walking and reaching with hands and arms and occasionally requires sitting, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Minnesota Teaching License in Elementary Education
Applicable district or department training will be provided and must be completed upon hire.
Special training or education may be required depending on assignment area.
Please contact Mindy Chevalier, High School Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org, for further questions.