Hiawatha Valley Education District is seeking Driver/Rider Special Education Paraprofessionals to ride the school bus with students to our programs (7:30AM-8:45AM), then work as a Paraprofessional in our programs during the day. The Driver/Rider would then ride the bus from our programs (2:45PM-4:00PM) in the afternoon. The hours and exact assignment will be determined based on student enrollment. The approximate work day will be 7:30 AM – 5:15 PM on student contact days.
EMPLOYMENT DATE: SY 23-24
RATE OF PAY: pay range is $17.50 to $25.00 per hour. Benefits package available.Appropriate Driver/Rider rates, as well as overtime rates will apply in any 40 hour week.
- Experience driving and transporting students is strongly preferred
- Acceptable driving history, valid driver’s license, and ability to pass drivers background check and drivers training test is required
- Must meet highly qualified criteria: Associates Degree or higher degree, or meets Minnesota Certified ParaPro Assessment
- Experience working with students with behavioral needs strongly preferred
- Certified in Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) preferred
- Ability to work with a team and take direction from supervising teacher
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but not limited to):
- Drive students to and from programs and school districts.
- Maintain safety in vehicles at all times.
- In the classroom:
- Assisting teachers in their teaching duties and other general responsibilities such as organizing teaching manuals, providing instructional support, rendering reinforcement activities, etc.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher (e.g. reinforcement of IEP goals and objectives, etc.) for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives and student participation
- Monitors special education students (e.g. classroom, field trips, lunchroom, playground, during life enrichment activities, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment
- Office, lifting, sitting, standing, pushing, pulling, keyboarding, etc.
- Driving up to a 10-passenger van with students
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.