Date Available: 8/14/2023
Duty Days Per Year: MSHSL Fall Season; plus planning of off-season program
Hours Per Day: Varies as arranged with supervisor
Type of Position: (X) Continuing ( ) Temporary
Salary: Varies based on experience and Schedule C of the Teacher’s Work Agreement
Supervisor of Position: Jon Martin, Activities Director
Qualifications: Volleyball – Assistant coach
The assistant coach is responsible for providing leadership and guidance to student athletes within the program. The assistant coach reports to and works closely with the Head Coach along with other assistant coaches to determine goals and direction of the program. The assistant coach is responsible for the health, safety and welfare of every student athlete participating on the volleyball team for St. Francis High School.
Preferred: Volleyball coaching experience at a middle or high school level (could be traveling, youth, or Junior Olympic related as well as school team related); MN coaching certificate or MSHSL/ National Federation Interscholastic Coaches Education Program completion preferred; working knowledge of the sport (playing experience in college or high school preferred)
Successful candidates must also show competency in the following:
- Proven experience in teaching and modeling character and responsible behavior
- Positive, high energy, and committed
- Partners well with parents, staff, community leaders etc.
- View success not just as winning, but as helping team members to reach goals
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinate the training, instruction, conditioning, and selection of athletes with head and assistant coaches.
- Follow and meet all expectations set forth by St. Francis Public Schools regarding the position of an assistant coach.
- Communicate with head and other assistant coaches regarding questions and concerns.
- Member of the Minnesota Girls Volleyball Association.
- Develop and organize effective practices for athletes that teach volleyball skills and strategies needed to compete in our conference and non-conference play.
- Demonstrate and generate, among your staff and players, an attitude of good sportsmanship and fair play by adhering to the “Coach’s Code of Ethics” and our conference “Sportsmanship Guidelines”.
- Adhere to the start and end dates of the volleyball season and rules pertaining to out-of-season coaching as determined by the MSHSL.
- Provide for the health, safety, and well being of team members at practices, games, and transportation to and from games. This includes oversight of the girl’s locker room.
- Affect a proper relationship with athletes and parents.
- Distribute and collect equipment on a timely basis, informing athletes of their responsibility for the use and return of athletic equipment/uniforms. It is the coach’s responsibility to collect all equipment/uniforms that has been issued.
- Assist in arranging for a post-season gathering and inform the athletic administrative assistant of certificates needed.
- Complete a post-season report with necessary information as stated by Activities Director and head coach.
- Work with the head coach and our program to facilitate activities for our youth programs and community education office to promote and encourage a positive feeder program.
- Assist with all summer programs and out-of-season programs to help out with high school athletes and head coach in building a better St. Francis Volleyball community.
- Other duties as assigned
The policy of the school district is to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. The school district does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, including gender identity or expression, age, family care leave status, or veteran status. The school district also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.