Under the supervision of the principal, to provide students, parents, and other teaching staff with information on graduation requirements, high school credits, career and college opportunities; administer and interpret career assessment tools; and assist students in developing educational and occupational goals and plans.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community who fuels the unique genius of each student.
BCCS Core Values – Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools
We stand front and center
We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
Our diversity fuels learning
We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Assist with developing master schedule, scheduling of classes, monthly credit checks, and have knowledge of credit translation
- Assists PSEO students in making course and subject selections, as well as with evaluating career interests and choices
- Assists students and work closely other counselors on admissions, scholarship and identifying employment opportunities.
- Assists students in evaluating students’ aptitudes and abilities through the interpretation of individual standardized test scores and other pertinent data, and works with students in developing education and occupation plans consistent with such evaluation
- Work closely with the school principal to promote and schedule on-site job and college fair annually
- Assists with the registration and orientation students who are new to the school regarding procedures and educational opportunities.
- Have knowledge of Synergy and other student management systems
- Work closely with work based learning coordinator to obtains and disseminates information regarding occupational opportunities to students and to classes studying occupations to prevent dropout rate
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student’s abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with guidance services.
- Researches educational and career opportunities, and coordinates with teachers, college and university personnel, resource specialists, and business and community organizations for the purpose of providing information, and making recommendations
- Serves as ready resource to students to provide mental health counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and maturity.
- Encourages parental involvement in students’ education and ensures effective communication with students and parents
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the principal
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of pre/post high school program eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of college/university admissions processes, scholarship programs and other educational opportunities.
- Knowledge of current developments in business and industry regarding career opportunities and employment.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Qualifications: MN Teaching licensure, Guidance Counselor. Previous experience working with diverse populations and urban school settings preferred.
Pay and Benefits: Competitive Pay and Benefits based on the contract
Duty Days: 197 duty days, includes 8 paid holidays!
Why Choose BCCS?
- Flexible and Affordable Health Insurance Options
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full service community school
- Sand Creek: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
We’re not a community on the fringe, we’re a community moving toward a center.
Moving in unison with a shift in cultural expectations.
Our voice and achievement will not be disqualified, we’re moving toward a change in history and hearts.
Standing FRONT AND CENTER so we are seen and heard.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools: https://www.bccs286.org/
Please select this link to apply online: https://www.applitrack.com/brooklyncenterschools/onlineapp/
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives and regulations of Federal, State and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.