Hours Per Week: 40 hours per week
Position Start & End Time: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Internal Applicants: Submit a letter of interest and resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, November 28, 2022.
The Account Specialist provides accounting support for the District. This position manages all accounting and financial activities of the Special Services Department.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage the accounting and financial activities of the Special Services Department to ensure compliance with Federal and State Department of Education and District 833 standards and requirements and to ensure consistency with Uniform Financial Accounting and Reporting Standards (UFARS).
- Develop, implement, and maintain computerized systems for expenditure and revenue accounting, budget preparation, staffing FTE projections, cost management, and control.
- Manage the Special Services’ budgets, capital expenditures, grants, contracts for services, summer school (ESY), and federal programs.
- Manage the Special Education Department’s Electronic Data Reporting System (SEDRA) and State Educational Record View & Submission (SERVS) System claiming state and federal special education aids to ensure optimum earnings.
- Audit and code all Special Services invoices, mileage and conference expense reports, requisitions, time sheets for director approval.
- Under supervision of the Director, develop and implement techniques to control expenditures and maximize revenues.
- Manages Special Services’ accounts receivables and account payables.
- Monitor tuition rates based on actual program costs; review MDE’s billing process.
- Monitor expenditures, compute ongoing balances for various programs, and keep supervisor informed of balances.
- Audit and analyze accounting records and reports for the Special Services Department.
- Develop and prepare analysis, projections, and reports as requested.
- Prepare and code Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) as appropriate.
- Administer time-study samplings, Personnel Activity Reports (PARs) and staff certifications.
- Audit and reconcile monthly expenditure & revenue reports and bimonthly payroll reports.
- Perform year-end reconciliation of SEDRA, SERVS and UFARS
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, LICENSE, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES):
1. Four year degree or equivalent experience in accounting, audit or finance
2. General knowledge of special education laws and practices as they pertain to accounting/financial management
3. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices
4. Proven abilities in Excel and Word applications, including spreadsheet and database development
5. Ability to perform complex tasks and problem solve with minimal supervision
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
7. Possess strong detail-oriented, analytical, communication and organizational skills
8. Experience with billing processes, tuition billing/receivables and developing/managing budgets
9. Prompt, regular and reliable attendance
10. Communicates with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships
11. Demonstrates an appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions
1. Familiarity with fund accounting and UFARS.
2. Background working in accounting or finance related field.