Position: Special Education Paraprofessional
Location: Moreland Elementary School
Hours: 15 hours per week
Line of Authority: Responsible to the supervising teacher
Primary Function: To assist student with the instructional process in special education and/or regular education classrooms.
Wage: $21.88 – $23.48/hr per the 2021-2022 Paraprofessional Contract
- Must have a two year degree or passed The Parapro Assessment.
- PCA training will be provided
- Ability to work as a team member with staff and parentss.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs. (and/or up to adult-size body weight with two- to three-person lift).
- Ability to support student’s full body weight up to adult size.
- Ability to tolerate frequent bending and lifting.
- Ability to work with behaviorally challenging students including those who may be physically and verbally aggressive, effective communication skills.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities, austim, emotional challenges, behavior challenges & trauma.
- Behavior management preferred
- Assisting the teacher/s in devising strategies for reinforcing skills based on sympathetic.
- Intercultural competence, including the ability to effectively support students from diverse racial and cultural backgrounds.
- Understanding of students’ needs, interests and abilities.
- Guiding independent study, enrichment work and remedial work set up and assigned by the teachers.
- Assisting with large group activities such as drill work, reading aloud, storytelling and field trips.
- Assisting and supervising student’s wash-up and toilet routines including lifting and transferring student.
- Assisting and supervising student to/from bus and in the building as needed.
- Carrying out behavior management techniques necessary to maintain classroom order as instructed by the teacher/s.
- Completion of clerical tasks related to students to whom assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
It is the policy, practice, and commitment of District 197 to provide equal employment opportunities for all people without discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Please contact human resources if you need financial assistance for your pre-employment screening.