Spanish Immersion Elementary Education Teacher
K – 5 Elementary Immersion Teachers at Lakes International Language Academy (LILA) deliver our Primary Years Programme (PYP) curriculum to students in Spanish. They utilize best immersion teaching practices to help ensure that our students develop both a deep understanding of content and their communication ability in a second language. LILA teachers look at each student in a balanced holistic view. They equally value academic, social, and emotional growth within each of our students. They utilize Response Classroom practices to help students develop the needed social skills that will allow them to function in our society as a productive member. LILA teachers also understand that each child is an individual, and they work tirelessly to meet those needs. They also collaborate continuously with their colleagues to share ideas, plan lessons, and form relationships. Because of LILA’s collaborative culture, teachers typically form close relationships with their colleagues.
- Conduct classroom instruction of all subjects in the target language
- Develop curriculum materials using engaging and age-appropriate instructional strategies
- Infuse international-mindedness into the curriculum on a continual basis
- Incorporate hands-on learning activities into daily instruction
- Communicate closely and encourage parental involvement regarding program goals, classroom activities, homework, school functions and student progress
- Create a safe and welcoming classroom environment
- Collaborate with grade-level teachers, program specialists, teacher mentor, coordinator, director and other staff regarding their teaching
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging trends, procedures and evaluation processes in language education
- Participate in regular planning and staff development activities
- Participate in professional development for language immersion, Responsive Classroom, and the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education or related field.
- Must have a valid Minnesota teaching license or the ability to obtain a license in the assignment area and grade level prior to the start of the school year.
- Must be fluent in English and Spanish, both oral and written communications.
- Experience teaching/living abroad.
- Teaching experience at the age level of the open position.
- Teaching experience in the International Baccalaureate Primary Years.
- Txperience with Responsive Classroom.
Physical Requirements: This position requires vocal communication, hearing, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, sitting, pushing, pulling, use of hands to grasp and feel, and vision abilities including close, distance, and adjusting focus. Lifting/moving required frequently up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 40 pounds or more. Work occasionally requires exposure to bloodborne pathogens and is generally in a moderately noisy location. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.