Behavioral Intervention Specialist Job Description
POSITION TITLE: Behavioral Intervention Specialist
REPORTS TO: ISLA Executive Director
DEPT: ISLA Elementary
LOCATION: ISLA School Building
NUMBER OF JOBS: 1.0 FTE’s 10 Months
HIRING RANGE: $30-32/ hour
-ISLA is an authorized IB Primary Years Program with a strong sense of community and support for its staff and community members.
-ISLA offers on-site preschool (33 months – 5 years) at a 50% discounted rate to staff and educators as well as discounted before and after school care for school age children.
– Competitive benefits package
The Behavioral Intervention Specialist will be responsible for providing behavioral support during the school day in and out of classroom settings, and may also include lunch/recess supervision when necessary. Duties include small group work, assisting students who demonstrate a need for social/emotional/behavior support, active supervision of students in the cafeteria and on the playground, etc. The Behavior Interventionist provides quality instruction, support, monitoring, and training using research-based positive behavior management techniques, intervention strategies, coping skills, and problem solving for students with behavioral challenges that are interfering with their academic success. The Behavior Interventionist will also provide training and support to staff in the area of behavior management.
- Ability to develop creative soluntions to challenging behavioral situations
- Training in Responsive Classroom and ability to apply positive behavior management techniques
- Ability to support and train teachers in positive behavior management skills including deescalation.
- Support and enforce the school attendance and truancy policy
- Assist in workshop week planning and leading
- Support before and after school program with social emotional learning and incident debriefing
- Lunch /recess supervision
- Provide support to students, staff and families with regards to bus transportation to and from school to ensure students that ride the bus arrive to school safely and on time. This includes responding to behavior incidents that occur on the bus and planning proactive interventions to bus issues
- Maintain records with regard to student behavior
- Communicate with guardians and provide student support regarding any behavior incidents that escalate to an administrative level
- Keep a log of all behavioral interventions and submit with the yearly ADSIS report
- Other duties as assigned by the Director (i.e. help with scheduling substitutes, substituting in classrooms if needed, assist with coordination of mandatory school drills)
- BA/BS from an accredited university and/or a valid Minnesota teaching license
- CPR/First Aid/Anaphylaxis certification or ability to acquire it
- Crisis Prevention and Intervention (CPI) certification or ability to acquire it